Lead Trial Attorney
Lawyer of the Year in California 2016-2017"
Law Firm 500 Honoree 2016-2017
REAL ESTATE ATTORNEY LOS ANGELES
Zachary D. Schorr is known as one of the Best Real Estate Attorneys in Los Angeles. Mr. Schorr leads Schorr Law’s team of attorneys in a very active real estate law firm in Southern California. He is an experienced Los Angeles real estate attorney and litigator who enjoys the litigation process and trials.
Mr. Schorr initially gained his experience in law by working in a well-known national law firm, while later honing his skills at a well-respected real estate and entertainment boutique law firm. In the winter of 2005, Mr. Schorr founded Schorr Law, A Professional Corporation with the goal of providing a firm with expertise in a highly focused subject matter: real estate.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Schorr earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science cum laude from the University of California at Los Angeles, and his Juris Doctorate from the University of California at Davis, School of Law. Mr. Schorr also worked for the Clinton White House for Vice President Gore in the Community Empowerment Board helping develop policy for redeveloping inner cities through tax incentives. During law school, Mr. Schorr was a judicial extern for the Honorable Sabrina McKenna in the 22nd Division of the Hawaii Superior Court.
Throughout his years of practice, Mr. Schorr has developed a track record of successes, including:
- $4.618 million fraud judgment against a real estate developer, attorney and construction company;
- A jury verdict resulting in $2.5 million payment to his client;
- Trial win in favor of client on specific performance case involving purchase of multi-unit building near downtown Los Angeles.
- Obtained a judgment for adverse possession 100% in favor of his client against Schorr Law’s client’s previous co-tenant concerning an approximately $4 Million Hancock Park property after a 3 week bench trial.
- A jury verdict in favor all five of his clients in a multiparty real estate litigation;
- Jury verdict for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against a Los Angeles Dr. in case involving commercial real estate fraud
- Trial win in favor of client based on irrevocable license theory holding Schorr Law’s client had a right to use 8 off site parking spaces in downtown Los Angeles
- Trial win in favor of well known restaurant following bench trial on permissible rent increase
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals victory confirming District Court dismissal of plaintiff’s claim
- A complete defense verdict (12-0) on all claims after a lengthy jury trial involving the sale of an airplane;
- An arbitration award in favor of clients being sued for alleged failure to disclosure in connection with real property with no money awarded to the claimant;
- Resolution of an ownership dispute involving over $25 million;
- Successfully Negotiated the Terms of a $10 Million estate financing deal;
- Successfully defeated a $2.775 million dollar claim for specific performance for the sale of a 9 unit apartment building in Redondo Beach;
- Obtained summary judgment in action to partition jointly owned real property;
- Numerous judgments for quiet title clearing old liens; and
- Numerous large settlements for his clients, over $10 million in dispute in 2014 alone.
IN THE MEDIA
Mr. Schorr is also widely known in the media. He appeared on the Dr. Phil Show, where Dr. Phil asked him to provide legal commentary on the real estate situation his guests were facing. Mr. Schorr also provided legal commentary on ABC Nightline, and most recently on ABC World News Tonight with David Muir.
As an experienced California real estate attorney, Mr. Schorr speaks at a lot of seminars covering various areas of real estate law. Some of the seminars he has participated in are:
- National Business Institute/ Westlaw: Presenter and Expert Panel Member on Airbnb and VRBOs: New Land Use Challenges; May 2018.
- National Business Institute: Presenter and Expert Panel Member on Airbnb, VRBO, and other Short-term Lease Agreements; January 2018 and April 2017.
- National Business Institute: Presented a Seminar on Title Law in California; December 2017.
- National Business Institute: Presented a Seminar on Title Law: A to Z; April 2017.
- Loyola Law Brownbag Lunch Series: Provided a forum for Loyola Law students to learn about the Real Estate Law practice area; November 2017.
- Loyola Law: Foundations of American Law: Gave a lecture about Property Law to Loyola’s Master of Legal Studies Students; August 2017.
- USC Real Estate Law and Business Class: Presented a lecture to USC students on Deeds, Land Descriptions, Surveys, and Boundary Disputes; August 2017
- Law Seminars International: Presented a Seminar on Negotiating Common Area Maintenance Provisions In Commercial Leases
- National Judicial Review, Inc: Presented a Seminar on Buyers and Sellers Beware: California Residential Purchase and Sale Agreement
- myLawCLE: Presented a seminar on Airbnb and VRBOs: New Land Use Challenges; June 2018.
- HalfMoon Education Inc: Part of a panel of presenters at a seminar on California Easements, Rights-of-Way, and Eminent Domain.
Zachary D. Schorr is well recognized as being one of the top and leading Real Estate Attorneys in Los Angeles and in California. The awards and recognitions that he has received show how dedicated he is to being a leading real estate attorney and achieving the best possible results for all of his Clients:
- Southern California Super Lawyers (Rising Stars): 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012.
- Super Lawyers Top 100 Rising Stars: 2016
- Corporate INTL Real Estate Litigation Attorney of the Year in California: 2017, 2016
- Expertise.com Named Schorr Law as one of the Top 20 Real Estate Law Firms in Los Angeles: 2017.
- Investopedia named Zachary Schorr as one of The 5 Best Real Estate Lawyers in Los Angeles: 2016.
- Law Firm 500 Named Schorr Law as one of the Fastest Growing Law Firms in America in 2016.
- AVVO Client’s Choice Award, and AVVO Top Rated Attorney (10.0).
- Realty Today, Top 5 Best Real Estate Law Firms in Los Angeles, CA 2018.
- Author of "Avoid Eviction: How to Successfully Defend Yourself in a California Unlawful Detainer Lawsuit".
- American Bar Association, Business Torts Journal “Fraudulent Common Area Overcharges in Commercial Leases” – by Zachary D. Schorr
- California Real Property Journal: Arbitration: Determining the Collateral Estoppel Effect of a Private Arbitration Award on Non-Parties In Subsequent Litigation
- Author of “Litigation Prep for Commercial Real Estate Leasing Disputes” published by ReedLogic
- Business Torts Journal, Fading Fiduciary Duties Between Franchisors and Franchisees
- American Bar Association, Business Torts Journal "Enhanced Damages for Elderly Victims of Consumer Fraud"
- Wall Street Journal, "When Home Buyers Change Their Minds"
- Wall Street Journal: How to Sell Your Home Without a Real Estate Agent
- Forbes, "Mattress Firm Fraud Defendant Claims Retailer Has 'Unclean Hands' In Real Estate Conspiracy"
- CBS News, "Couple who bought 'American Horror Story' house suing seller over fan harassment"
- US News and World Report, “How to Avoid Celebrity Real Estate Blunders”
- US News and World Report "What To Do If You Are Being Sued"
- US News and World Report "How to Avoid and Live With Neighbor Nightmares"
- Time Magazine (Money Magazine): Featured Expert: "How to Sell Your House Without Paying an Agent's Fee"
- Yahoo News: Building, Buying, or Beefing Up a Home? Watch Out for Annoying Deed Restrictions.
- Realtor.com: Building, Buying, or Beefing Up a Home? Watch Out for Annoying Deed Restrictions.
- Realtor.com: How to Evict a Family Member Who Has Worn Out His Welcome
- Hollywood Reporter: LA Real Estate: How to Spot a Shady Broker
- The Mortgage Reports: How to Fire Your Real Estate Agent
- Knew Money: A Pain-Free Guide To Getting Out Of Your Iron-Clad Apartment Lease
- Mortgage Reports: Understanding a Real Estate Contract or Purchase Agreement
- Hollywood Weekly, “For Love of the Argument”
- Fox News - "Navigate the real estate market with these 6 lingo tips"
- Fox Business: "Renting Your Home? 7 Things You Need to Know"
- Philly.com, “Why real estate attorneys are valuable”
- Southern California Homes: "Get Help with Common Real Estate Disputes: An Interview with Zachary Schorr of Schorr Law, A Professional Corporation"
- The New Jersey Sentinel: Buying: Don't Be Remorseful- The Times of Northwest Indiana
- Omaha World-Herald, "Make sure you're finding the right house for you - for the long haul"
- Monitor Homes, Law & Order: "From contract to closing, real estate attorneys guide buyers through the process"
- Medical Office Today, "Dealing with Tenants in a Retail Center: Rights and Recourse When Faced with an Incompatible Tenant"
- Multifamily Executive, “Black Sheep”, Property managers must learn how to spot – and prevent – problems with potential residents before they join the flock
- Turks.us – Daily World EU News, “Even Celebrities Haven’t Escaped Misery of Real Estate Deals"
- LowesForPros.com, “When a Tenant Sues”
- LowesForPros.com, “Develop a Tenant Handbook”
- Spokane.net, Missoulian.com, “Back and Forth, Back and Forth..” (Buying and Selling With Counter Offers)
- Chicago Tribune, Chicago Daily Herald “Terms of Agreement”
- Philly.com. “Having a good landlord/tenant relationship”
- CBSMoneyWatch.com – Can I Break My Lease If People Bark About My Dog?
- Madison.com, San Angelo Times, Standard Times – Neighbor Nicities: Don’t silently steam in your side of the fence. Here’s how to handle issues that may arise next door
- SpokesmanHomes.com – Negotiation, compromise part of good tenant / landlord relationship
- DallasNews.com – Real estate attorneys guide homebuyers through process
- Monitor Homes: NBC 5 Chicago – Law & Order
- Multifamily Executive – Crime Control: A step-by-step guide on how to purge your property of crime – at a price you can afford
- After Class: What Is "Loss Factor" And How To Negotiate Against It
- Realty Biz News: Why You Need to Warn Your Clients About Deed Restrictions
- REALTOR Mag: Watch Out for Deed Restrictions
- New Haven Register: How to Evict a Family Member Who Has Worn Out His Welcome
- Bisnow: Mattress Firm Fraud Defendant Claims Retailer Has 'Unclean Hands' In Real Estate Conspiracy
- Bisnow: Mattress Firm CEO Resigns, Chairman Taking Over Duties
- KNX 1070 CBS Radio: Provided legal commentary on a matter regarding a couple who bought the "American Horror Story" house and were suing the seller for failure to disclosure things; 2018.
- KABC 790, "So What's Your Problem?": Discussed various real estate matters with show host and provided legal commentary.